What is Collaborate Ultra?
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a platform for live online classes, it is integrated into module areas and uses the same software as Minerva itself. Your Module Leader may choose to use Collaborate Ultra to run some classes that take place online. The video above will give you a good introduction to the Collaborate interface – showing you how to do things like post chat messages, give feedback and share files.
Can I practice using Collaborate Ultra before my first class?
It is highly recommended that you do so by following the steps below:
Step 1: Read all about how to be a participant in a Collaborate class on Blackboard’s website.
Step 2: Test what you’ve learned in the LUBS Student test room where you can try sharing your webcam, audio and files. Select this link to join the class – please do not upload sensitive information to this shared space, and please abide by the University of Leeds Policy on Dignity and Mutual Respect.
What features does Collaborate Ultra have?
– View files being shared by the presenter and (when permitted) annotate them
– Text chat with the whole class and with individual staff members and students
– Share microphone and webcam (when permitted)
– ‘Raise hand’ to ask for help
– Use your mobile phone for audio
– Share files with the whole class and run polls (when permitted)
– Write on a collaborative whiteboard with your classmates
– Work in groups using ‘Breakout Rooms’
– View a list of all attendees
Is there an app?
We recommend using your web browser to join Collaborate classes.
Which browser should I use?
We recommend using Chrome to access the test room (students in China are recommended to use Firefox).
How will I join my online class?
Your Module Leader will post a secure link to join any online classes to the module area in Minerva. If you aren’t sure where the link has been saved we recommend asking your Module Leader at least two days before the online class.
We recommend right-clicking or long-pressing on the links below and opening them in a new tab to learn more about Collaborate Ultra at the University of Leeds.