Arrangements for Semester 2 (2021/22)

We have loved seeing so many of you on campus attending classes and enjoying everything Leeds has to offer. We are keen for this to continue in semester 2, but with some improvements. This means that:

• A significant amount of face-to-face teaching will be delivered on campus, including seminars, tutorials and workshops
  • Large scale teaching sessions will continue to be online
  • Study spaces and cafes will be available for you to work in, alone or with your course mates, including bookable and walk-in single and group study spaces in libraries.

We are also working to improve the experience in semester 2 by:

• Safely increasing the capacities of some teaching spaces to allow for more face-to-face sessions
  • Fixing technical issues with lecture capture and live streaming to improve your online experience

Information for international students facing travel disruption

A significant number of students who were due to travel to Leeds for the start of semester 2 have had travel plans disrupted and are experiencing significant logistical challenges that did not exist in December due largely to changes in government policies around the world.  

We still hope that you will be able to join us in Leeds for the start of semester 2, but we recognise that some of you face significant logistical challenges due to flight cancellations and widespread travel disruption.    

Therefore, if you are facing difficulties in travelling to Leeds, the Business School will provide you with the option of supported self-study. This means that the School will engage with you, be responsive to your needs, and actively support your learning and success as you continue online with your programme.  

Supported self-study will be different from the online learning experience of semester 1 and will not be the University experience that you would receive in person but provides an alternative for those of you who are facing challenges in joining us for semester 2 as planned. Please read the below FAQs if you have any further questions.  

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

question

Supported Self Study

How do I notify the School that I would like to choose the Supported Self Study option?

Please complete this online form.

Will I receive a response/notification when I have completed the online form and informed the School of my plans?

You will not receive an individual approval notification whether you inform us that you have a new expected arrival date, or if you would like to choose supported self study option.

You do not need to follow up with the School or email the School for a response on this. Once you have completed the form you do not need to take any further action.

The choice you select, and inform us about, will be approved unless we contact you for further information.

If you inform us of your new expected arrival date then you just need to continue with those travel plans, and if you choose supported self study, you should wait for your Module Leaders to inform you of how this will work for your modules. You will be informed before teaching starts.

What is supported self-study? 

We believe that the best place for you to continue your programme is with us in Leeds.  

Supported self-study means that the School will engage with you, be responsive to your needs, and actively support your learning and success as you continue online with your programme. This will not be the University experience that you would receive in person but does provide an alternative that you can choose for those of you who are unable to join us for Semester 2 as planned.  

Supported self-study will be different from the online learning experience of semester 1 and will vary by module and could include for example recordings of seminars and lectures available to view on Minerva; opportunities to ask questions via Minerva discussion boards and receive feedback, and additional online academic support hours. Your Module Leaders will update you on how this will work for your individual modules before the start of teaching week one.  

When will I know how supported self-study will work for my programme/modules?

LUBS Module Leaders are currently identifying the support that will be put in place for students, so you do not need to contact them. LUBS Module Leaders will update you on how this will work for your individual modules before the start of teaching week one (week commencing 24 January) 

The support will vary by module and could include for example recordings of seminars and lectures available to view on Minerva; opportunities to ask questions via Minerva discussion boards and receive feedback, and additional online academic support hours. 

If you are taking any non-LUBS modules, please see the FAQ further down below.  

What if I choose to take supported self-study and then change my mind? 

It is important that we plan your education in the best possible way. We therefore ask that you think carefully about whether you still plan to arrive in Leeds for semester 2 or would prefer to choose the supported self-study option. It will be difficult to plan your education if you change your mind after you have informed us.  

Does this mean there will be online seminars in semester 2?  

Different options are being considered at department and programme level, but it is not expected that there will be continued widespread use of online seminars in semester 2. We will not know the best way to support you until we are clear on how many students on each module choose self-study.  

Supported self-study will be different from the online learning experience of semester one and will vary by module and could include for example recordings of seminars and lectures available to view on Minerva; opportunities to ask questions via Minerva discussion boards and receive feedback, and additional online academic support hours. Your Module Leaders will update you on how this will work for your individual modules before the start of teaching week one.   

What is dual teaching? 

Dual teaching is where some students are on campus and some are online. This was always intended as a temporary solution. Our teaching staff cannot continue with this approach in the longer term, not least if we are to ensure that our students get the best quality learning experience. We remain committed to giving every student substantial face-to-face teaching time this academic year, and while large teaching sessions are currently being held online, seminars, workshops and tutorials are being held in person, and give students the chance to engage and interact with other students and academic staff.  

Will the School be delivering seminars online for students who are finding it challenging travelling to Leeds for semester 2.

The School will not be offering online seminars across all LUBS modules.  

For those students who are not yet in the UK and would like to continue their programme online through supported self-study, you need to be aware that supported self-study will be different from the online learning experience of semester 1 and will vary by module  

Although there may not be online seminars, supported self-study may include for example recordings of seminars and lectures available to view on Minerva; opportunities to ask questions via Minerva discussion boards and receive feedback, and additional online academic support hours. Your Module Leaders will update you on how this will work for your individual modules before the start of teaching week one.  

Why can’t the School provide online seminars for all modules?

In semester 1, academic colleagues delivered dual teaching, which is where some students are on campus, and some are online. This was always intended as a temporary solution.  

Our teaching staff cannot continue with this approach in the longer term, not least if we are to ensure that our students get the best quality learning experience. We remain committed to giving every student substantial face-to-face teaching time this academic year, and while large teaching sessions are currently being held online, seminars, workshops and tutorials are being held in person, and give students the chance to engage and interact with other students and academic staff.   

Will all seminars be recorded?

Supported self-study may include for example recordings of seminars and lectures available to view on Minerva; opportunities to ask questions via Minerva discussion boards and receive feedback, and additional online academic support hours.

Your Module Leaders will update you on how this will work for your individual modules before the start of teaching week one.  We will not know the best way to support you until we are clear on how many students on each module choose supported self-study.  

I am already in the UK. Do I have to attend face to face teaching, or can I also undertake supported self-study learning? 

Students who are in Leeds are expected to attend face to face teaching. Supported self-study is an option for only those students who are currently not in the UK and are unable to arrive in Leeds for semester 2.   

I am taking modules run by other schools. Will I need to change my module choices if I cannot attend in person?

You will need to contact the module leader(s) for the module(s) you are taking to clarify whether you are expected to physically attend seminars or if you can continue to be enrolled on these modules during your supported self-study. Contact details for Module Leaders can be found on the online catalogues.  

If the Module Leader indicates that you need to physically attend their teaching and you are unable to do this as you have chosen supported self-study, you will need to change your module choice. 

You can apply to change Semester 2 modules up until Friday 4 February and should complete the Change of Module form to do this. 

I am a joint honours student. How will this affect me?

If you are taking any LUBS modules, you will need to contact the Module Leader directly to let them know that your arrival will be delayed, or that you are undertaking supported self-study for Semester 2. They will then be able to advise you on any arrangements for their module. 

The online catalogues give contact details for Module Leaders. 

I have chosen supported self-study for Semester 2 but there are face to face seminars on my timetable still, what do I do?

Although we are aware that you are not physically going to be in the UK in Semester 2, we are not currently able to remove face to face timetabled teaching from individual student records. You can therefore disregard any face-to-face teaching in your timetable. 

I have chosen supported self-study for Semester 2. Will my attendance record be affected?

We will continue to support student engagement with their studies and will email you if we have any concerns about your level of engagement. You will not be contacted regarding attendance at physical teaching activities. 

I have chosen supported self study, will my award/certificate be affected.

If you choose supported self study your award or certificate will not be affected.

I have chosen supported self study, will I still be a full time student?

Yes. Nothing will change regarding your duration or mode of study.

Will the school provide certification of online courses for students who choose supported self-study?

The School is not offering fully online programmes but if you choose supported self-study, and require an official letter to verify your studies or qualification, then the School will provide this for you.  

We will send this letter to those students who select supported self-study, and need this letter. A letter has been drafted and we are now waiting for approval of the final wording of this and we will send this to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and we apologise in advance for any delay with this. 

Arriving in Leeds

I plan to arrive in semester 2. Where can I find more support information on planning my arrival?

Please visit the International Welcome page for further information.  

This page includes, but is not limited to, guidance on arriving in Leeds, quarantine arrangements, and contact details for some of the teams that can support you with your arrival. 

I travelled home for the winter break and now I cannot get a flight back to the UK – do these arrangements outlined in the recent School communication apply to me? Can I choose supported self-study for semester 2. 

Yes.

If you are unable to arrive in Leeds for semester 2 due to travel disruption, then you can choose supported self-study and must complete this online form to inform us.   

If my flight has been cancelled, and I still want to arrive for semester 2, what is the latest I can arrive in Leeds? 

The original latest arrival date was Friday 21 January. If you have had a flight cancelled and are now unable to arrive by that date, but still plan to arrive as soon as possible in the UK that is ok. 

There is additional flexibility for students to arrive by 14 February.  This option acknowledges the disruption whilst maintaining the principles of our current approach.

Under current COVID-related student visa rules, students in their final year who wish to be eligible for the Graduate visa route must arrive in the UK by 6 April 2022. 

University of Leeds students Students are required to arrive by 14 February 2022.

I do not think I can get here by 14 February. Am I ok to arrive later in the semester?

The latest arrival date has been extended until 14 February and we recommend that those students wanting to arrive in semester 2 should arrive by that date.  

If you plan to arrive later than 14 February then please do still complete the form to let us know this expected arrival date. Please note that we cannot confirm at this stage whether this will be approved. Please complete the form and will contact you should this not be possible and let you know if you will need to choose supported self-study instead. 

I am facing restrictions in my home country and am unsure whether I can arrive by 14 February. How should I complete the form?

We understand that you may be facing restrictions and unsure whether you can arrive by 14 February. If your preference is to arrive by 14 February but you are not sure if this is possible yet, please still fill in the form to indicate that your expected arrival date is 14 February.  

If restrictions do not lift, and you are then unable to arrive by 14 February then you will be able to continue to access the support available through supported self-study.  

Does the latest arrival date of 14 February include any period of isolation

Yes. If you can arrive by 14 February, this means you should be ready to engage with any face-to-face teaching you are timetabled for from 14 February.

How will I be supported up until my expected arrival date?

If you plan to travel to Leeds before the latest arrival date of 14 February, then you will be able to access the same support that those students who choose ‘supported self-study’ receive and you will receive this from the start of teaching week up until your arrival date.  

What if I choose to arrive and then change my mind? 

It is important that we plan your education in the best possible way. We ask that you think carefully about whether you still plan to arrive in Leeds for semester 2 or would prefer to choose the supported self-study option. It will be difficult to plan your education if you change your mind after you have informed us.   

Will the University cover the cost of any managed quarantine should this be required?  

As we have emphasised, we would like you to join us on campus as soon as possible as there are so many more opportunities and activities to do on campus and your educational experience will be so much richer. There are currently no countries on the UK Red List.  

If this were to change, the University will meet the government set costs of managed quarantine in a hotel for new students this semester and will make sure that you are fully supported through this if it were to be required, and more details can be found here https://www.leeds.ac.uk/international-students/doc/coronavirus-information-applicants-offer-holders 

If you are a returning student, then we will meet the government set cost of managed quarantine in a hotel subject to you providing evidence of mitigating circumstances that necessitated returning home after semester 1.  

Students not fully vaccinated, or whose vaccine may not be recognised, may still need to quarantine, although not in a paid hotel. Chinese vaccine confirmations are not accepted https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-with-approved-covid-19-vaccination-programmes-and-proof-of-vaccination

Where can I find support information on unmanaged or self-quarantine/isolation.

If you have questions about what you need to do or how to get support while you are self-isolating, you can contact the student information helpline.  

There is also more information on https://students.leeds.ac.uk/selfisolationsupport 

Visa & Immigration

I am still waiting for my visa so I am unsure whether I will arrive in time for semester two. What should I do?

If you have any questions about your visa application, or any questions about visa arrangements we recommend that you contact studentvisaadvice@leeds.ac.uk as soon as possible 

You can find more information on the Your Visa section on students.leeds.ac.uk

I have other questions about my visa, who can I speak to?

We strongly advise you to check Visa and Immigration information before making this decision. This page also includes contact details of the Student Visa Advice team. 

If I choose supported self study, will I have my visa revoked?

We  advise you to check Visa and Immigration information for any questions about visas. This page also includes contact details of the Student Visa Advice team should your question not be answered on this page.   

How will my Student Visa be affected by the decision to take supported self-study?

Please note that if you choose to undertake the supported self-study option, you should ensure you are aware of the implications for your Visa sponsorship and the Graduate visa route. We strongly advise you to check Visa and Immigration information before making this decision. This page also includes contact details of the Student Visa Advice team.

You should be aware that your visa may be curtailed if you do not arrive (or return to) Leeds. In addition, any final year student who wants to take up a graduate route visa must be in the UK by 6 April at the latest. 

I am an undergraduate in my 1st/2nd year. Is supported self study an option just for semester 2, or on an ongoing basis?

This is just for semester 2 due to the travel disruption students are currently facing.

Examinations

I have exams in January. Are these online or on campus?

It is your responsibility to check the January exam timetable to know when your exams will be, and whether they will be online or on campus. If you have an on-campus examinations then you need to ensure you are in Leeds in good time to take these.  

If you have an online open-book exam in a 48-hour period, and are unsure how this will work, then please read the information on the Guidance for open book exams in a 48 hour period page on the Taught Student Guide.  

I have an online exam in a 48 hour period in January and I am unsure how this will work. Is there further guidance?

What do I do if I have an on-campus exam in January that I cannot attend now due to travel disruption affecting my ability to be in Leeds in time? 

If you have an on-campus exam in January and will be unable to attend this due to travel disruption, you will need to apply for mitigating circumstances in order to request to defer your exam to the next available opportunity.   

You should apply online for a first attempt through ‘Mitigating Circumstances – Additional Consideration’ by using the online form.  You will be required to provide evidence to support your request - you may for example choose to submit your flight cancellation notification as evidence.   

What is happening with semester 2 exams?

Most exams will continue to take place online for the 2021/22 academic year as originally planned. There may be a few examinations that are due to take place on campus, and if this is the case for your module, you will be informed by your Module team in due course.  

If you are due to have an on-campus exam in semester 2 please refer to the FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) below.  

One of my modules has an on-campus exam in semester 2. I have chosen supported self-study so how will I complete this exam?

If you have chosen supported self-study, and have on campus exams in semester 2, or the August resit period, then the School will contact you with further information on how you will complete these exams.  

We will not know the best way to support you until we are clear on how many students on each module choose supported self-study. We will therefore contact you early in semester 2 with further information on how examinations will work for you if you were due to have any campus and you will not be in Leeds.   

Student Support

I am anxious about coming to Leeds, what support is in place?

When world events affect members of our community, we know how important it is to have the right support, especially for those who are far away from family and friends. 

We recognise that COVID-19 will have had an impact on many different aspects of your life. We are committed to supporting all our students, whether you are looking for practical help, advice or someone to talk to. 

Please visit our dedicated website coronavirus.leeds.ac.uk which highlights some of the support available to you.  

I have not been to Leeds yet so am not sure what it will be like?

Your Course Representatives are well placed to let you know about the positive experiences that come with on-campus seminars and your Programme Team can let you know more about how semester 2 will work for your programme if you are unsure. 

If I am struggling in semester two, can I apply for mitigating circumstances

You will be able to apply for mitigating circumstances under the existing criteria.

If you are a student who has not yet arrived in the UK, it is your choice whether you arrive in semester 2, or if you would prefer to choose supported self-study.

Choosing supported self-study* is not criteria for applying for mitigating circumstances during the 2021/22 academic year.

*If you are a student who has not yet arrived in the UK, it is your choice whether you arrive in semester 2, or if you would prefer to choose supported self-study.

I am thinking about permanently/temporarily leaving my programme – where can I find more information on this?

If you are thinking about leaving university before completing your studies, either temporarily or permanently, support is available to help you decide what is right for you. 

Find out about how to get support, steps to follow, and the implications of leaving temporarily or permanently by visiting student.leeds.ac.uk 

There can be fees, funding, accommodation, and immigration implications with leaving Leeds early so please do make sure you read all the information carefully.  

If you have a question that is not answered above please submit this through this online question form. We aim to respond to queries in three working days and the form will close on Friday 14 January.