Mitigating Circumstances - Extensions and Additional Consideration

Mitigating circumstances are normally exceptional, short term, unforeseen and unpreventable events that may have a significantly disruptive effect on your ability to take assessments.

There are two routes of mitigation available: Extensions to Coursework Deadlines and Additional Consideration.

You can apply for mitigating circumstances using the online application form.

More information about mitigating circumstances and the 2022-23 guidance can be found on the University website. We have included some answers below to some of the more common questions on this process. Please do take a look at these should you have further questions before you contact the Student Support Team.

Frequently Asked Questions


If you are affected by circumstances that will have a short-term impact on your ability to complete coursework assessments (for example a minor illness), you can make an application for an extension to a coursework deadline. Please note that not all circumstances are grounds for mitigating circumstances. You can find out more on the circumstances normally accepted in section 2.1 of the Mitigating Circumstances Guidance on the university website.

How do I apply for an extension to a coursework submission deadline?

To apply for an extension to a coursework deadline, you must apply before the coursework submission original deadline using the online application form.

Your Academic Personal Tutor or Module Leader cannot approve extension requests. Please do not send your request to them; instead submit your request by completing the online application form.

What can I get an extension for?

You can apply for an extension to assessed coursework.

It is not possible to request an extension for an examination. If you have mitigating circumstances which affect your ability to undertake your examination, then the option open to you is to apply for ‘Additional Consideration’ (please see additional consideration FAQs below for further information).

What is the maximum number of days extension I can apply for?

Fourteen (14) days. You will need sufficient supporting evidence as part of your extension request.

If you have applied on medical grounds, you can apply for a seven (7) day self-certified extension, and you do not require evidence for this.

What do I do if I need a longer extension, or I can’t submit by the approved extended deadline?

The maximum number of days Schools can grant extensions for coursework is normally 14 calendar days.

If a coursework extension is granted, but you are unable to submit the work after 14 calendar days, you will need to make an application for Additional Consideration to request either the removal of penalties for late submission (if incurred) or a further attempt at the assessment at the next available opportunity.

Can I get an extension for group work assessment?

If the group work element is an essay/poster/presentation and does not impact the rest of the module then an extension request can be reviewed.

You must provide sufficient supporting evidence at the time of application if applying for a group extension, as provisional extensions cannot be granted for group work assignments. Only one group extension can be granted per assessment.

Do I need to provide evidence of my circumstances?

If you are applying for an extension to a coursework deadline on medical grounds, you will be able to self-certify for a period of up to 7 calendar days without the need to provide evidence.

All other applications will require supporting evidence.

If you are applying for a coursework extension on disability grounds and are registered with Disability Services at the University, your Summary Support Sheet will constitute supporting evidence.

How do I know if I have been given an extension?

You will receive an email from LUBS Student Support. This email will advise whether your extension request has been accepted or rejected. If accepted it will advise you of your new submission deadline.

Can I apply for an extension after the coursework submission deadline has passed?

We are unable to review extension requests submitted after the assessment deadline. All extension requests must be submitted before 12 noon (UK time) of the day of the deadline.

Please refer to the FAQ for Additional Consideration.

What happens if my request for an extension is rejected?

If the work is not submitted by the deadline, late penalties will be applied for each day the work is late and after fourteen (14) days of non-submission a mark of zero (0)  is returned.

You can find more information on late penalties on the ‘Submitting Assignments’ page on the Taught Student Guide.

What can I do if I can’t submit by the extended deadline that I have had approved?

Please refer to the FAQ on Additional Consideration

Where can I get support for my circumstances?

The University has a Counselling & Wellbeing Service.  You can self-refer for an appointment, and a counsellor, mental health advisor or wellbeing practitioner will contact you depending on your needs.

If you’re not certain this is the right step for you the service also hosts 30-minute same-day one-off appointments during term-time, where you can discuss your difficulties and explore options for support.

The service also has information on self-help support and they run Wellbeing Workshops covering topics such as managing anxiety and stress.

What can I do to help the application process?

  • Complete the online form fully and accurately
  • Providing sufficient supporting evidence
  • Where possible, do not leave it to the last minute to submit your request
  • Do not send follow up emails which will slow processing down and read the FAQs if you have further questions.

Find more information on helping yourself and your circumstances by accessing help and support

Where can I find more information on Mitigating Circumstances?

You can find further information on

Additional Consideration

Additional Consideration is a request to the School for your circumstances to be taken into account at the next Special Cases Committee meeting. It differs from an Extension request because Additional Consideration is usually applied for after the assessment has taken place. Please see the Mitigating Circumstances Guidance for further information.

Do I have a valid reason to request Additional Consideration?

Like extensions, Additional Consideration is for unexpected circumstances that are out of your control, such as a bereavement or a sudden illness that has impacted your studies or ability to take an assessment.

Please note that not all circumstances are grounds for mitigating circumstances and you can find out more on the circumstances normally accepted in section 2.1 of the Mitigating Circumstances Guidance.

What can I apply for through 'Additional Consideration'?

You can apply for any of the following:

  • First Attempts – this is an uncapped further attempt to be taken in the next assessment period.
  • Removal of Penalties – to remove any late penalties that have been accrued on an assignment.
  • Exemption – this can only be requested on certain elements that are 30% or under, if granted the element would not be considered in the final total of the module.
  • Consideration – this is a request that your circumstances be taken into account at the Classification Board at the end of your University career.
  • Repeat of Year – if your circumstances have meant that you have missed the majority of your teaching and assessments the School may be able to consider allowing you to repeat the year.

Please note that the School Special Cases Committee will award you what is appropriate and acceptable for both you and the School.

Can I apply for Additional Consideration for an exam?

Yes. If you have either missed an exam, have suffered some disruption in an exam or feel that your circumstances have negatively affected your preparation and performance, you can apply for Additional Consideration.

What evidence do I need to provide?

Evidence must be in documentary form from a professional third party (i.e. doctor/therapist/government body/employer).

The evidence should cover the assessment period in question and should be signed and dated. All evidence must be in readable English, or if not, translated by a certified translation company. We cannot accept evidence in another language, prescriptions for medication, or photographs of physical maladies/injuries.

Please see the Mitigating Circumstances Guidance for further information about evidence.

How do I apply for Additional Consideration?

You can apply online via the online application form.

If you run into any difficulties, please contact your Parent School for advice.

If I have a further question about Additional Consideration, who should I ask? My Parent School or Teaching School of the module??

Your Additional Consideration application will go to your Parent School. If you have any further questions, please contact your Parent School for any advice and for further information on application deadline dates.

If you are a LUBS student, you should contact

When do I need to have applied by?

The deadline to apply for Additional Considerations for Semester 2 modules is 23:59 13th June 2023.

If you do not apply by this date your application will be considered as a late application and you will need to provide an exceptional reason and evidence as to why you were unable to apply by the deadline.


Who makes a decision on my application?

Your application will be first looked at by a Student Support Officer (SSO). The SSO will check that the information you have submitted in your application is correct for your programme of study and that the reason and evidence you have supplied is valid.

The SSO will then present your request to the School Special Cases Committee.

Each School has a Special Cases Committee that meets a number of times throughout the year to look at mitigation circumstances requests. This Committee is chaired by a representative of the Head of School and is attended by a quorum of academics.

I have applied so when can I expect to hear back?

Outcomes are usually released to students upon the release of results.

What happens if I am not happy with the outcome of my application?

If you have any questions about your outcome, please contact your Student Support team in the first instance at:

If you are still unhappy with the School Special Cases Committee outcome after speaking with the Student Support team, you have the option of appealing the decision through the University Appeals Procedure.

If your question is not answered above please contact: