Guidance for LUBS External Students

This page includes information and answers to all these questions and much more. If you have a question that is not answered here please contact LUBSStudentSupport@leeds.ac.uk

Applying for Resits and Minerva Access

Q: How do I apply to take my resits?

A: You should follow the instructions that are included in the Results Day email you received from your parent school which highlights how to apply for any failed modules you are eligible to resit. This email provides you with instructions on how to apply and also includes the application deadline that you must adhere to

Q: Do I need access to the current year’s module area in MINERVA?

A: As an external student, you will retain access to the MINERVA module area for the year you received teaching. The assessment you will be set will be relevant to the content of the module for the year you received teaching.

Q: Can I attend teaching to help me with my resit?

A: As an external student you are not permitted to attend teaching for the modules you are resitting.

Assessments/Exams

Q: When will I get my brief?

A: A resit ACW Brief will be sent to your University email address once your resit application has been received, processed and an appropriate assessment has been confirmed by the Module Leader. You will be given an appropriate duration to complete the resit assessment once you have received the resit ACW Brief.

Q: Will I receive the same question/task as last time?

A: You will be asked to complete a resit assessment which is relevant to the teaching you received. This may mean you are asked to complete an alternative question from the original ACW brief or you may be asked to complete a different question/task. The task you are asked to complete will be confirmed to your student email address by the LUBS Assessment Team for LUBS taught modules or by the teaching school for non-LUBS taught modules.

Q: When will my deadline be?

A: You will be given an appropriate deadline when you receive your resit ACW brief. If you have any questions about your deadline or the instructions within the email outlining your resit ACW please ensure you contact LUBSAssessment@leeds.ac.uk

Q: Where should I submit my work

For LUBS taught modules:

A: Once your student record has been updated to confirm receipt of your resit application, you will be contacted by the LUBS Assessment Team with details of your resit assignment (a resit ACW Brief) and submission instructions.

For non-LUBS taught modules:

A: The teaching school of the module will contact you and provide details of your resit assignment and submission instructions. If you have any questions about your resit assessment for a non-LUBS taught module please ensure you contact the Module Leader.

Q: When will my exam be held?

A: External students must take the exam for the failed module at the next available opportunity i.e when it is next offered by the school where the module is taught.

For example, if you are resitting a module which is taught in semester one, you will take the exam in the semester one exam period and if you are resitting a module which is taught in semester two, you will take the exam in the semester two exam period.

External students will be informed by the teaching school if there are any changes to this practice i.e. if a module is assessed in a different semester from which it is taught.

Supervision & Your Academic Personal Tutor

Q: When will I hear from my dissertation supervisor?

A: As an external student, once you have received the Dissertation resit confirmation email from the LUBS Assessment Team which your Dissertation supervisor will be copied into you are responsible for making contact with your supervisor. The LUBS Assessment Team will have informed the Dissertation Module Leader, and your Supervisor, of the level of supervision you are entitled to.

Q: Will I have an Academic Personal Tutor?

A: LUBS parented external students will be assigned an Academic Personal Tutor and you are responsible for making contact with your Academic Personal Tutor.

Q: Can I contact the Module Leader for support on my assessment?

A: Yes. You can make contact with the Module Leaders for the modules you are resitting if you have a query about your resit.

Please note: as an External student you are not entitled to receive teaching for modules you are resitting externally.