Skip to main content

Placement Finance

Tuition fees (Student funding and SFE)

When on placement year you pay a significantly reduced tuition fee.

Throughout your placement, you receive support from the LUBS Work Placement Team and an assigned placement tutor. You will also continue to have access to all university facilities and support systems.

For the most up-to-date information about costs and fees see University of Leeds Undergraduate fees for study abroad and work placements page​.

International students will also need to consider student visa renewal costs and timelines. Study visa renewal advice will be offered once we know if we can authorise your placement.

See the University of Leeds Visa and Work Placements page.

*Fees, funding, and visa information may be subject to change.

Student loan

You are still eligible to apply for a student maintenance loan whilst on placement.

For students funded by Student Finance England (SFE), this will be a significantly reduced amount from the loan you usually receive. This will depend on where you are living and the location of your placement.

More information on funding and loans can be found here.

Council Tax

Placement students can apply for a Registration Status Certificate for Council Tax Exemption by filling out The Student Services Team’s Current Student Documents Form.

The Student Services Team will include your course start and end dates, as well as permanent home and term-time addresses on the certificates for the council tax exemption. Before applying it is important that you have registered for the current academic year, and term-time addresses on the Student Services/Minerva are up to date.

LUBS Work Placement team does not help with council tax queries. If you have any questions regarding the process, contact Student Services Team at

Contact us

You can contact the LUBS Work Placements Team by email at Our online open hours are Monday to Friday from 9am-5pm (except for bank holidays and closure days).